The only lodging in the Old Salem Historic District, the Augustus T. Zevely Inn, on the National Historic Register, has been meticulously and accurately restored to its mid-19th century appearance. Our guests are not just visitors; they are part of a living 18th century restored Moravian town, which maintains the spirit, character and ambiance of its Moravian founders.
A Gracious Welcome....
Attention to authenticity has been carried out in the furnishings and use of the rooms. The warm and inviting Moravian atmosphere found in Old Salem continues as one enters the Zevely Inn - through the use of only Old Salem Collection furniture, fixtures, accessories, tiles, floor coverings, and window treatments. Some were made especially for the Zevely Inn; others are high-quality reproductions from originals found in the homes and museums in Old Salem. Many rooms have been closely returned to their original appearance and use, or sensitively adapted as guest rooms. Electrified beeswax window candles warmly welcome guests.
Inside, a corner fireplace, characteristic of Moravian architecture, graces the parlor where in winter, a wood fire burns. Throughout the year, the parlor is a gathering place for guests; its comfortable surroundings encouraging conversation and kindling new friendships.
A formal dining room, off the parlor, also has a corner, wood-burning fireplace. It can be used by guests who prefer this setting to the parlor. The rear wall has a historically accurate mural that presents a view of Old Salem in 1844 from this perspective; several buildings in the mural exist today.
Augustus T. Zevely was a doctor. His office, which had a separate entrance, was across the hall from the parlor. It is now used as a breakfast room where a continental plus breakfast is served during the week and a full breakfast on weekends; fresh fruit, juice, and Moravian baked goods are offered at breakfast. Off the breakfast room is a wet bar where guests can help themselves to ice, tea, and coffee.
18th Century Period Landscaped Garden at the Augustus T. Zevely Inn Bed and Breakfast - Winston-Salem, NCA two-story ell-shaped porch at the rear of the inn, shaded by a spreading magnolia, offers a relaxing end of the day in Old Salem. Guinea fowl, who roam throughout Old Salem, are often seen from the porch.
Old Salem is surrounded by the City of Winston-Salem, North Carolina, formed by merger in 1913 of Salem and the new town of Winston. The city forms, with Greensboro and High Point, the "Triad," which has become a center of industry, education, and science for the southeastern United States.
Long the tobacco capital of the nation, Winston-Salem, NC, is becoming known as a banking and medical center. The area also hosts five major Universities, Colleges, and a Tech School.
Amid the bustle of modern Winston-Salem, Old Salem remains a green place apart, protected by orchards and farm plots, where the life of an 18th century German-American town goes on uninterrupted.
The historic district of Old Salem was designated a "Registered National Historic Landmark" by the U.S. Department of the Interior in 1966. Within this landmark are unrestored, restored and reconstructed buildings, which, as a whole, present the authentic architectural representation of the community of Salem between 1766 and 1856. The Augustus T. Zevely structure is considered by the Historic District Commission to be an integral and contributing part of the total landscape; the commission strictly governs its use and appearance.